A little window to the ever changing life of my daughters and myself. Including, but not limited to, our struggles, my yearning of learning in broad subjects, the journey to finding myself, learning to become worthy of Him, becoming a better mother, and finding where it is I belong.

Pages

Monday, July 09, 2012

My Decision to Homeschool

For the past 2 years at least, I have been thinking about homeschooling my daughters. I have been researching hi and low for a good way to do so.

Last school year, my eldest was having some difficulty with her school work. According to my brother she has some kind of anxiety thing going. The problem was she was not turning in her work on time, some, not at all. When I asked her why, all I got was "I don't know". That was frustrating. Not only as a confused mother, but I knew she was doing her work, I sat up with her and checked it for her. 

In the end, when summer vacation started, I gave her a few placement tests. For reading, she scored in the 11th grade, and in Math she scored great in Pre-Algebra, she might be ready for Algebra. Along with her anxiety problem, I think she was bored with her classes, always leaving her assignments for the last minute. Then, at the deadline, she freaked out at how much she had to do. 
This is what made me finally make up my mind. 
I will homeschool my daughters from now on.

Currently, I am saving up to buy a few supplies like, a HUGE dry-erase board, which I will be making, the instructors manuals, and the first 3 books needed for each of the girls. I am also in the process of finding a good certified teacher that will be helping me with the assessments. That way, my girls will not have to take the standardized tests at the end of the year.
Legalities, don't you just love them?

Wish us luck...

5 comments:

  1. I am also trying to make that big decision. How is it working for you now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's going pretty good so far. My kids are loving learning about History for the first time! It's amazing!
    The hardest thing for me to get used to is not getting behind on 'grading'. A lot of parents do not do this though. I am learning that most things do not need to have a grade. Just a test here and there to see what they are absorbing and what they need more help on.

    Hope that helped, and thank you for visiting.
    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i try to decision with my parents but my parents dosent agree at all wht shld i do? bsz i almost month need to go back los angeles sometimes malaysia i dnt event knw wht the teacher is talking abt can u help me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all depends on what age you are. If you are still in middle school, your parents need to be very involved and might not have the time to help out. If you are in High School, being home-schooled requires a lot, and I mean a lot of discipline. If it's a language barrier, you might want to try talking to your principal or school counselor and see what else can be done.

      Homeschooling is a great alternative, but a lot of work. Most people don't understand how much is involved. If you think you can do it, maybe ask your parents to try it out for a year and see where that goes.

      Hope this helps, and thank you for visiting.
      Good luck.

      Delete
  4. I am sorry about this being so late in the game but I had to pipe up on this one. I am the daughter of a single mother I am also the daughter that very rarely handed in anything from signed papers to homework. I do not and did not have any anxiety problems I was just plain old fashion bored with my studies. I was blessed with being able to catch on to things quickly so when we had to constantly be on a subject I would zone out. I begged my Mother to homeschool me but as I said she was a single mother and that just wasn't an option. Now I have a 4 year old and I am considering homescooling him in the future. Just thought I'd share that

    ReplyDelete

i just love comments, they give me a 'fuzzy' feeling.
love,
jackie